High load expected Wednesday morning in ERCOT region
AUSTIN, TX, Jan. 16, 2018 – Statement on tomorrow’s peak (forecasted to occur between 7 and 8 a.m.):
As always, ERCOT is monitoring the current situation closely. We expect significantly high load at tomorrow morning’s peak due to historically high usage and continued very low temperatures expected through the night in Texas.
Here are some ways consumers can help conserve energy:
- Keep your thermostat as low as comfortably possible, preferably no higher than 68 degrees.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid running large appliances such as washers, dryers and electric ovens during peak energy demand hours (6 to 10 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m. in the winter).
- Close shades and blinds at night to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows, and open them during the day to let heat from the sun come in.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.