About Our Program
The ERCOT Internship Program gives high performing college students the opportunity to develop their skills in a professional work environment. In some cases, internships can lead to full time positions at ERCOT. Interns receive intellectually stimulating projects and assignments that aim to solve real challenges facing the electric industry. The internships also are structured to provide networking opportunities with staff and other interns.
This program is a paid learning experience primarily for students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher—no exceptions—and who have at least completed their sophomore year. Students who apply must be enrolled in a bachelor or postgraduate degree program at a school listed in the U.S. Department of Education’s Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. Graduate students are highly encouraged to apply. A relocation stipend is available to out-of-state candidates.
Candidates must be available to work onsite at an ERCOT location–Taylor or Austin, Texas–depending on the department. However, 90% of all Intern positions are located in Taylor.
- Limited to the summer months typically starting the day after Memorial Day and going through mid-August.
- Limited to 40 hours per week.
- Typical Work hours are 8–5, Monday–Friday.
- Must be enrolled in an academic bachelor or post-graduate degree program at an educational institution listed in the US Department of Education’s Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs with a GPA of 3.0 or higher—no exceptions—with plans to enroll in classes the following semester..
- Must work on-site for the duration of the internship.
- Must not require visa sponsorship if hired into a regular position.
Students hired in the Summer Internship Program are given projects to complete during their time with ERCOT. A formal presentation to upper management describing the project completed is due at the end of the summer term. Managers may also request routine department tasks be completed by interns.
Department Internships by Major
Computer Science /
- Cyber Security
- Project Management
- IT Services & Strategy
- IT Support Services
- QA & Test Management
- Web Content Management
- Business Process Risk & Control
- IT Commercial Operations
- Corporate Applications
- Settlements Meter Engineering
- Market Analysis
- Model Administration
- Network Modeling
- Operations Advance Network Applications
- Operations Analysis – Renewable
- Operations Grid Analysis
- Transmission Planning
- Control Room Operations
ERCOT is located in the heart of Central Texas with facilities in Austin and Taylor. The majority of intern positions are located in Taylor, less than an hour drive to Austin. The Austin area offers many lifestyle options that make it a popular place to live and develop a successful career. Known as the Live Music Capital of the World, Austin also has a vibrant movie and sports scene. With the myriad hike and bike trails, greenbelts and lakes, the Central Texas region has something for everyone.
The program offers temporary boarding options for out of town interns. Some ERCOT employees willingly open their home for summer interns. The cost is $500 per month which is paid to the homeowner. ERCOT will connect interns with the homeowners to discuss further. ERCOT is in no way responsible for housing. Please be aware there are limited boarding options available. Interns are responsible for their own transportation. Van pools are available at various locations around the Austin area. The van pools run from $35-$75 a month.
Current internship openings can be found on the Career Center page.